Provided by the Management for your protection

Blog of random stuff named after message on paper toliet seat covers.

Saturday, November 18, 2006

EMO


What is this word? EMO? I don't get it. I have run into it in many of my pop culture indulgences (see e.g. "The O.C." season three, Marissa refers to Seth as Summer's "EMO boyfriend") and heard young-ins mention it (i.e. "EMO rock"). Is is short for emotional? Does it carry a negative connotation? In the above examples, the context clues seem to indicate that it is not a positive descriptive term.

Am I totally out of it? Too old to get it? Should it be in all caps? Not sure why I wrote it that way.

I am going to have to look into this - i.e. google it. In the meantime, here is a picture of Jillian disguised as a pink burrito. Try not to get too EMO while looking at it.

3 Comments:

At 10:17 PM, Blogger Andrea said...

I dated a guy in high school who was in a band that went on to be dubbed "seminal emo-core". Mainly, it was whiny. And very very very earnest. A toxic combo.

Your baby, on the other hand, is freakin' perfec'.

 
At 1:46 PM, Blogger TA said...

I think it is short for "emotional," and it is an extremely whiny, annoying form of music. I got strongarmed into attending an "emo" concert in about 1999, which I now think was actually that guy from Bright Eyes who I gather is now fairly successful, but anyway it was hideous and made me want to stick shards of glass in my ears. Keep that baby away from the emo!!

 
At 6:54 PM, Blogger mu-galto said...

Was your relationship filled with drama? I would guess that someone who pioneered emo-core would bring the drama. Just stick to the duran duran...

I will definitely keep this baby away from the emo, in all its hideous forms.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home